by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 87 Summary
- Back on the home front, Melinda makes egg-salad sandwiches for lunch.
- Then, she gets to work on the front yard.
- Mom likes what she sees, and she and Melinda break out the summer lawn furniture.
- Dad arrives with pizza, and nobody fights at dinner.
- Melinda falls asleep on the couch watching TV and wakes up after midnight in the dark.
- She feels like she needs to do something; sleep is the last thing on her mind.
- She goes for a nighttime bike ride, this time through her suburb, past the houses of her ex-friends, Heather and Nicole.
- Rachel's house is lit up; her parents are probably waiting for her return from prom.
- Melinda considers popping in for a visit, but decides against it.
- She rides like she's flying. She feels like she won't "ever have to sleep again" (86.6).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...