by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 9 Summary
- Rachel, who used to be Melinda's best friend, is in the bathroom with Melinda.
- Rachel has changed her name to Rachelle; she's hanging out with foreign exchange students and learning French.
- Melinda's trying to put in her contact lens and Rachel is putting mascara on.
- Melinda says hello to Rachel, and Rachel says, "Mmm" (9.5).
- So Melinda tries, "How's it going?" (9.7).
- Rachel makes another funny noise. Melinda is so mad at Rachel. Rachel never even asked her why she did what she did. (We'll learn more about what Melinda "did" later…)
- After making a mess of her mascara, Rachel puts a candy cigarette in her mouth.
- Rachel's friend comes out of a bathroom stall. She looks like a model, like someone who would be named Greta or Ingrid. From this point on, Melinda refers to her as Greta-Ingrid.
- Rachel turns away from Melinda and leaves.
- Melinda knows she needs a friend – not a best friend, or even good friend, just a friend of any sort. She needs someone to make her feel a little bit better about herself.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...