Cite This Page
Melinda Sordino Timeline and Summary
- Melinda starts her freshman year at Merryweather High with no friends and a terrible secret.
- Melinda discovers Mr. Freeman's art class, which will be the silver lining in the cloud that is her school life.
- Melinda discovers an abandoned janitor's closet at school, and she converts it a home-away-from home.
- A boy Melinda calls IT scares her, and we suspect the boy did something bad to her at the end-of-the-summer party.
- Melinda gets a bad report card, and her parents are mad at her.
- Thanksgiving Day is awful, but Melinda makes an awesome sculpture out of the bones of the turkey.
- Mom and Dad give Melinda a sketch pad and charcoals for Christmas. She's touched because they've noticed that she's been drawing, but can't find the words to express it.
- Melinda has another run in with IT, who we learn is named Andy Evans.
- Melinda gets another bad report card and starts skipping school.
- After she shares in school suspension with Andy Evans, she starts attending all her classes again.
- Heather tells Melinda she doesn't want to be friends anymore, and Melinda takes it hard.
- Melinda turns down a date with David Petrakis.
- That night she faces the memory of what Andy Evans did to her. Readers learns that he raped her at the party.
- In the spring, Andy Evans and Melinda's ex best friend Rachel start dating.
- This inspires Melinda to start talking about what Andy did.
- One day, Melinda decides she won't hide in the supply closet any more.
- While she's cleaning it out, she's attacked by Andy again.
- She breaks a mirror with her turkey bone sculpture and uses a piece of glass to stop Andy from hurting her.
- On the last day of school, Melinda begins to confide in her art teacher, Mr. Freeman.