Cite This Page
Stargirl Chapter 1 Summary Page 1
- Commence the story proper. It's the first day of school, and Leo is starting the eleventh grade.
- Kevin, Leo's friend, asks our narrator, "Did you see her?"
- Apparently, there's quite an uproar over some new girl in school.
- Leo wonders what all the fuss is about, and all day long he hears murmurs about the new girl.
- Finally, in Earth Sciences, he hears the name "Stargirl." Her full name is Stargirl Caraway.
- Over the course of a few pages, we learn all kinds of tidbits about the new girl:
- She is wearing what appears to be an old fashioned wedding gown, and she has sandy, shoulder-length hair. She doesn't wear makeup, and she has big ol' eyes.
- She carries around a ukulele, which is like a tiny guitar.
- After lunch, she plays her ukulele and sings along. Everyone is staring at her.
- Leo thinks she is not gorgeous, but not ugly, either. Um, thanks?
- Leo and Kevin run a TV show at school called "Hot Seat," on which they interview students about all kinds of things. After learning more about Stargirl, the two of them are totally determined and excited to interview her. Talk about a ratings boost.