The Story of an Hour Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Mrs. Mallard really die?
- How do you think Mr. Mallard would feel if he knew what his wife really felt?
- Do you believe Chopin is trying to make some grand assertion about fate or free will with the ending of the story? If so, what is it?
- Do you feel pity for any of the characters? Which ones, and why?
- Can a person really die of shock? Of happiness? Of grief?
- If you were going to write some fan fiction inspired by "The Story of an Hour," how would you do it? Which characters would you explore? How would you imagine the personalities of Richards, Josephine, and Mr. Mallard? What would be the back-story behind Mr. and Mrs. Mallard's marriage?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis