Theme of Suffering in Io
Poor Io. It's hard not to feel more than a little bad for her. This little nymph does a whole bunch of suffering before it's all over. As fun as being transformed into a cow might be (to us, but we're weird), it would definitely stink if you had to stay that way for a long time. Add to that a few more gems—being ripped from your home, being made a prisoner, being forced to wonder the earth while being tortured, and possibly being raped—and you've got the makings of a seriously unpleasant life.
Questions About Suffering
- In your opinion, what is the worst thing that Io suffers throughout her tale?
- Some say that suffering makes people stronger. Do you think that's true in Io's case? Why or why not?
- Does Io deserve her suffering in any way?
- What other characters in the story suffer besides Io? In what ways do they suffer?
- What, if anything, does Io learn from her suffering?
- Do Zeus or Hera learn from the suffering they inflict?