Stranger in a Strange Land
by Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land Chapter 34 Summary
- Part 5, "His Happy Destiny," opens in the afterlife.
- Foster tells Digby that the boy he wanted is available for revenge, but Digby honestly can't remember anyone wanting to take revenge on anyone. Foster is pleased with Digby's progress.
- Another cosmic newsreel section, with two pretty important parts.
- First, the Martians have grokked all they can from Mike and will make a decision about whether or not to destroy Earth for the sake of artistic necessity. They'll take their typical Martian time about it.
- Second, there's a sermon by Bishop Oxtongue of the New Grand Avenue Temple raving against antichrists and false religions. Gee, wonder who he's talking about.
- This chapter focuses on Jubal. He's having a hard time concentrating because he's worrying over Mike.
- He calls Anne to get some writing done, but nothing comes of it.
- Anne reveals that Larry, Dorcas, and she have set up the stereovision and are keeping tabs on Mike. Oh, and he's in jail. Again.
- Jubal is not psyched about this, but Anne reminds him that Mike has been to jail pretty often and he always manages to get out. Jubal plays with the idea that Mike did it on purpose.
- Just then, Larry bursts in the door to tell them Mike's church has burned down.
- Whoa. Didn't see that one coming.
- While watching the news, Jubal gets a call from Ben. He's just checking in to tell them that everyone is okay. Well, they are all legally dead since no one saw them leave the building, but other than that, they're fine. Mike's still in jail though.
- Jubal decides to visit the church members, telling Larry, Dorcas, and Anne to stay behind and be prepared for further retaliations.
- On his way out, Jubal weeps for Mike. He so knows what's coming.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...