A Streetcar Named Desire
When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literature, Philosophy, and Mythology
- Edgar Allan Poe (1.93, 3.162)
- Edgar Allan Poe, "Ullalume" (1.93)
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, "How Do I Love Thee?" (3.115)
- Nathaniel Hawthorne (3.162)
- Walt Whitman (3.162)
- One Thousand and One Arabian Nights (5.116)
- Vincent van Gogh (opening stage directions, Scene Three)
- Xavier Cugat (3.94)
- The Mills Brothers, "Paper Doll" (3.188 stage directions)
- Richard Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier (5.117)
- Mae West (opening stage directions, Scene Six)
- Ella Fitzgerald, "It’s Only a Paper Moon"
- Huey Long (8.14)
- The Varsouviana Polka (Music used throughout scenes nine through eleven)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search