When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Tennessee Williams, "The Rose Tattoo" (epigraph)
- Tar Baby, from the Uncle Remus stories (1921.32)
- Chicken Little, children's book about the chicken who thinks that the sky is falling (1922.42)
- Ajax, Greek hero who appears in Homer's Iliad (1922.3)
- Shadrack, biblical figure who walks into a fire without being harmed.
- St. Matthew (Prologue.2)
- The Virgin Mary (1920.1)
- Eva, references Eve (1920.75)
- Ham's sons, references the belief that Africans (and hence African-Americans) are descended from Ham (1921.86)
- Jude, similar to Judas, who betrayed Jesus; also St. Jude (1923.4)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search