The Taming of the Shrew
Cite This Page
The Taming of the Shrew Act 5, Scene 1 Summary Page 1
- Lucentio and Bianca run off to get married at St. Luke's church.
- Meanwhile, Petruchio, Kate, and Vincentio arrive at Lucentio's house, where the Pedant is pretending to be Lucentio's father while he hangs out with Baptista.
- The Pedant (as Vincentio) comes to the front door and faces the man he is impersonating. He insists that he is Lucentio's father and makes the real Vincentio look like a crazy imposter.
- When Biondello and Tranio (still disguised as Lucentio) see Vincentio and realize the jig is up, they deny knowing Vincentio to avoid the beating that's surely coming their way.
- Poor Vincentio thinks that Tranio has murdered his kid in order to assume Lucentio's identity, which makes him look even crazier.
- The cops are called and Vincentio is about to be carted off to the slammer when the newly married Lucentio shows up with his wife, Bianca. Lucentio immediately kneels at his father's feet and asks for forgiveness.
- Bianca thinks this is a pretty good idea and says what amounts to "sorry dad" while kneeling before Baptista, who has wandered out of the house to see what all the fuss is about.
- Baptista demands to know what the heck is going on. Lucentio comes clean, admitting that he's not really Cambio – he's actually Lucentio and he has just married Baptista's daughter.
- Apparently, Vincentio is a very forgiving and indulgent father because he comes to his son's defense and assures Baptista that they will make the marriage worth his while.
- Now that the whole mess is straightened out, the group heads inside to the wedding reception. (How can there be a wedding reception planned when Bianca and Lucentio eloped in secret? Remember, Baptista had agreed to let Bianca marry someone named Lucentio – he just didn't know that he was dealing with Tranio disguised as Lucentio.)
- Petruchio and Kate, who are normally the ones causing a spectacle, have been watching the whole scene unfold. Petruchio asks Kate for a little kiss. She hesitates but agrees to a little PDA anyway. They make out publicly and then follow the others inside for the wedding banquet.