Tangerine Part 1, Chapter 13 Summary
Friday, September 8
- Paul is playing goalie during practice. The 8th graders in the team call him Mars now because of his goggles, but he's cool with it.
- Gino calls Paul over to the coach, who tells him that, because he has an IEP, he can't be on the soccer team. At all. For insurance reasons. Talk about bad news!
- Paul kneels down on the sideline, takes off his goggles, and starts to cry.
- When his mom comes to pick him up, he lets her know, in no uncertain terms, that she got him kicked off the team by filling out that IEP form.
- She sends his dad to talk to the coach and try to resolve the situation.
- While he's waiting, Paul sees another osprey flying by—this time holding a koi in its mouth.
- His dad returns, explaining that the only compromise the coach is willing to make is to let Paul be the team manager.
- Paul refuses. He wants to play.
- His mom apologizes, and promises never to mention his vision to anyone again. Hm, a bit late for that, MOM.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...