Tangerine Part 2, Chapter 12 Summary
Tuesday, October 3
- Paul remembers something that happened on Joey's first day at Tangerine Middle.
- Joey had showed up in homeroom without Theresa as a guide, and when Paul asked him where she was, he told him that he didn't need a "guide dog" (2.12.8).
- Paul took offense at that, and Joey laughed, asking if he thought Theresa was good-looking.
- After considering it for a minute, Paul said he did, and Joey comes back with "(t)hen you've been here too long" (2.12.12).
- Paul warned him not to come in with an attitude.
- Why is Paul remembering this? Well, there's an incident in science class today.
- The students all get into their groups. Theresa takes charge of their group, telling the guys that they will do their report on a new variety of citrus her brother Luis has developed, called the Golden Dawn tangerine.
- This girl is on it—she's got stuff printed out for each of them, and has already divvied up the research jobs.
- She tells them that Luis wants to meet with them all, too, and then everyone can give their research to her, and she'll type it up.
- Joey offers to print it for her, if she just saves it on a disk, but Theresa admits they only have a typewriter.
- Tino immediately goes on the offensive, asking Joey if he's got a problem with that.
- Of course, this starts an argument. Joey insults Luis, which leads to Tino lunging at him and getting dragged out into the hall.
- Joey leaves the group, yelling at Paul that he's a coward for hanging out with these guys.
- The teacher takes him out, too, and Paul just stands there in shock.
- Theresa calms the class down, and they get back to work. Joey eventually comes back to class, but joins another group. Tino? Off in suspension.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...