Tartuffe Act 2, Scene 1 Summary
- Orgon decides it's time he had a little heart-to-heart with Mariane, but before the confab can begins, he checks the room for eavesdroppers.
- That done, he starts buttering her up, telling her how good a daughter she is. He goes on to say that in order to repay him for his love she should do what she's told. She, being the good daughter that she is, responds in the affirmative.
- Orgon pops the question, or, uh, a question: How do you like Tartuffe? It's the kind of thing you might have had your best bud do for you in Middle School – he's like Tartuffe's wingman.
- Mariane doesn't really know what to say and, so, she tells Orgon that whatever's good for Daddy's good for her.
- Unfortunately, Orgon wants her to marry Tartuffe.
- Mariane is horrified, and when Orgon tries to get her to say that she loves the hypocrite, she tells him it'd simply be a big fat lie.
- Just when things are about to get nasty…
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search