Tartuffe Act 3, Scene 4 Summary
- This is where things get a bit crazy.
- Damis jumps out of the closet – remember, he's been hiding in there the whole time – and contradicts Elmire's promise.
- He wants to tell everyone about what a liar and a sleaze Tartuffe is; it's the second best thing to punching him in the face.
- Elmire tries to do some damage control and convince Damis to keep his mouth shut; she wants to honor her promise and avoid upsetting Orgon.
- Damis can't imagine letting Tartuffe get off so easily. He, who has seen his marriage prospects nearly disappear, craves justice, and he's just had the perfect opportunity served up on a silver platter.
- Elmire's attempts to calm him down fail; he wants only revenge, and he intends to get it.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search