Cite This Page
Tartuffe Act 5, Scene 3 Summary Page 1
- Madame Pernelle, Mariane, Elmire, and Dorine show up.
- Madame Pernelle can't believe the stuff she's been hearing.
- Orgon gets his mom up to speed on what's happened. He tells her how Tartuffe duped him, took his stuff, and tried to seduce his wife.
- Madame Pernelle still can't believe what she's hearing and she tells Orgon as much.
- Orgon is flabbergasted – he doesn't know how she can't see Tartuffe for what he is after hearing all that.
- Orgon and his mother argue for a while; she insists that Tartuffe is good, and that he, Orgon, doesn't have enough proof of his guilt. This is what some people call "getting a taste of your own medicine."
- Finally, Cléante tells them to cut it out. Tartuffe, they have to remember, is planning to take control of Orgon's estate.
- Damis and Elmire don't think that Tartuffe has the guts to follow through, but Cléante isn't so sure.
- He, Orgon, and Elmire are talking things through when…