The Tell-Tale Heart
by Edgar Allan Poe
The Old Man Timeline and Summary
- For seven nights the old man sleeps soundly while the narrator spies on him.
- On the eighth night the old man hears the narrator at his door and wakes up.
- He waits in fear until he's pulled to the floor by the narrator. Then his bed is pulled on top of him.
- His arms, legs, and head are cut off, and then his body buried beneath the floor.
- His dead heart begins to beat more and more loudly until it drives the narrator to confess the deed.