The Tell-Tale Heart
by Edgar Allan Poe
The Narrator Timeline and Summary
- The narrator says he'll tell a story to prove he's sane.
- During nights one through eight (of the narrator's story), the narrator spies on the old man while he sleeps.
- On the eighth night, the narrator kills the old man, cuts up the body, and hides it.
- The narrator hears a knock at the door and finds three policemen who are investigating the complaint of a suspicious neighbor.
- The narrator invites them in and shows them around.
- Eventually the narrator begins to hear a noise.
- The noise grows so loud that the narrator directs the police to the body, and announces that the noise he's hearing is the heartbeat of the murdered old man.