Tender is the Night
Tender is the Night Book One, Chapter Twenty-One Summary
- Dick waits for 45 minutes and then attracts a shady character who sells newspapers to Americans at high prices.
- Dick figures he’s missed Rosemary and goes to call her hotel, breathing raggedly.
- She answers and he tells her that he’s all worked up over her. They exchange mutual desire to be together, but the narrative doesn’t say whether they make a date.
- He thinks, "it’s impossible," and walks away.
- Rosemary goes back to writing to her mom. Apparently she’s fallen in love with a director (though hasn’t stopped loving Dick) and wants to go back to the states ASAP.
- Next thing we are told is that Dick gives Nicole a call at 6pm to invite her to a play. It’s not revealed whether he went to Rosemary’s or not.
- They knocked on Rosemary’s door to invite her, but she doesn’t answer.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...