Tender is the Night
Tender is the Night Book Two, Chapter Thirteen Summary
- Dick walks into the party hall of the St. Moritz Hotel and sees Baby and Nicole looking pretty in their ski suits.
- Some guys were talking to them, but they were in their own worlds.
- Nicole looks happy to see Dick, and she asks where someone is.
- Dicks says that someone missed his train, but that Dick will meet him in a bit. Then he compliments Nicole’s and Baby’s beauty.
- Nicole pleads with him to be happy, to talk to some of the girls around. He says he doesn’t want to. He’s careful as he knows this is a delicate subject.
- Baby starts talking business, updating them on the increase in the family fortune.
- Dick says he has to go meet someone at the train station.
- This "someone" is the 40-year-old Franz Gregorovius.
- Baby isn’t impressed with him; Dick likes him; Nicole is scared of him.
- Dick’s keeping his eye out for a pretty girl he’s been watching.
- But Franz is here on business. He wants Dick to help him buy the old clinic where he met Nicole then run it together.
- Baby encourages Dick to consider it; Gregorovius argues that Dick would have patients, and therefore new material for a book. Nicole says she’s all the crazy Dick needs, making Franz nervous.
- Baby is thinking she wouldn’t have to worry so much about Nicole if she was living right near a clinic.
- Dick says he needs to think it over, and then all the people in the hall head out to sleigh down the hill to another hotel.
- Dick thinks Baby’s encouragement is another way to get him to understand that he’s a Warren family possession and he resents her, but tries to keep it inside.
- On the way back down, he’s surly and argumentative.
- When Dick takes Nicole to her room for bed, she mentions that Baby has a good idea.
- Dick starts to respond with negative comments about Baby, but Nicole closes the door in his face.
- But the next day, he gives Franz his enthusiastic acceptance of the offer to buy the clinic with Franz.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...