Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase III: "The Rally," Chapter Twenty-Two Summary
- The next morning, Dairyman Crick is all in a huff because he's had a letter complaining of a funny taste in the butter.
- He can taste it himself, and realizes that there must be garlic in the fields that the cows have been munching.
- So all the dairymaids and dairymen gather up and go over every inch of the field in a row, trying to find the offending plants.
- This, as you can imagine, is very tedious work – like hunting meticulously for a needle in the proverbial haystack.
- Angel is sure to put himself next to Tess in the row, so that they can speak quietly to each other as they scour the field.
- After a while, Tess separates herself from the rest of the group, and Angel follows after a few minutes.
- Tess remarks on how pretty the other dairymaids look, especially Izz and Retty.
- After this, she tries to avoid Angel as much as possible, to give the other dairymaids a fair chance.
- After all, she thinks that she can't, in good conscience, marry anyone after having had a baby out of wedlock.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search