Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase IV: "The Consequence," Chapter Twenty-Seven Summary
- When Angel gets back to Talbothays dairy, all the workers are taking their afternoon nap (remember, they have to get up at 3:30am for the first milking).
- The place seems deserted, and he takes care of his horse by himself.
- Tess is the first one to come down from her nap, and Angel startles her at the bottom of the stairs.
- He holds her tight, and she doesn't struggle away.
- They go off to the milk house together to skim the cream off the top of the milk – Dairyman Crick and his wife are off running errands, so it's just the two of them.
- Angel asks her to marry him, but she says she can't.
- He asks her reasons. She says it's because his parents wouldn't like it, and that it's too sudden.
- Angel tells her more about his parents – how they're simple and don't care about money. And then he tells her about his father preaching to some scoundrel named D'Urberville.
- Of course that gets Tess upset again, and she repeats that she can never marry him.