Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase IV: "The Consequence," Chapter Twenty-Seven Summary
- When Angel gets back to Talbothays dairy, all the workers are taking their afternoon nap (remember, they have to get up at 3:30am for the first milking).
- The place seems deserted, and he takes care of his horse by himself.
- Tess is the first one to come down from her nap, and Angel startles her at the bottom of the stairs.
- He holds her tight, and she doesn't struggle away.
- They go off to the milk house together to skim the cream off the top of the milk—Dairyman Crick and his wife are off running errands, so it's just the two of them.
- Angel asks her to marry him, but she says she can't.
- He asks her reasons. She says it's because his parents wouldn't like it, and that it's too sudden.
- Angel tells her more about his parents—how they're simple and don't care about money. And then he tells her about his father preaching to some scoundrel named D'Urberville.
- Of course that gets Tess upset again, and she repeats that she can never marry him.