Tess of the D'Urbervilles
by Thomas Hardy
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase VII: "Fulfillment," Chapter Fifty-Four Summary
- Only fifteen minutes after reading the two letters, Angel is setting out to find Tess.
- He traces her to the farm where she had worked all winter, and he learns there that she wasn't using her married name at all.
- From there he traces her to her parents' house in Marlott.
- He asks around, and finds that the Jack Durbeyfield was dead, and that the rest of the family had intended to go live at Kingsbere, but had instead moved someplace else.
- Angel gets the address, and leaves Marlott.
- He arrives at Mrs. Durbeyfield's house that evening, and Tess isn't there.
- He asks where she is, and Mrs. Durbeyfield says that she's not sure whether Tess would want to see him.
- Angel begs to know where she is, and Mrs. Durbeyfield finally says that Tess is in the town of Sandbourne, but doesn't know the exact address.
- Angel then offers to help them if they need anything, but Mrs. Durbeyfield declines the offer, saying that they have enough.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...