Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Cite This Page
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase VII: "Fulfillment," Chapter Fifty-Five Summary Page 1
- Later that night, Angel arrives in Sandbourne, which is a fancy town with a spa that attracts tourists.
- He's surprised that Tess, a country girl, would have chosen such a bustling, modern place to live.
- The next morning, he goes to the post office to ask for the address of a Mrs. Clare.
- No luck. But Angel remembers that Tess wasn't using her married name, so he asks for a Miss Durbeyfield.
- Still nothing. But there's a D'Urberville staying at a nearby hotel…
- Angel hurries to the hotel, and asks for Mrs. D'Urberville. He asks the messenger to say that it's "Angel."
- She appears on the stairs in a beautiful gown – Angel can't understand how she got the money for it.
- He reaches for her, begging her forgiveness for leaving, and she shrieks that it's too late.
- She says that "he" had won her back to him, by swearing up and down that Angel would never come back to her.
- They look at each other in anguish, and Tess runs back upstairs, and Angel walks slowly back out into the street.