Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Cite This Page
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Phase VII: "Fulfillment," Chapter Fifty-Eight Summary Page 1
- The next morning, Angel wakes up early and sneaks out to buy some food at a nearby village.
- Tess doesn't want to leave the house, since they're so secluded there from the outside world.
- Angel agrees to stay another night.
- Unfortunately, the caretaker of the house comes by to check things out early the next morning, and sees them while they're asleep.
- She assumes that they're a rich couple who decided to elope, and doesn't wake them, but she does go to ask her neighbors about what to do.
- They wake up a few minutes later, and have a vague fear that something's wrong, so they set out again.
- Angel decides that they had better avoid London and try to make for Bristol, a coastal town where they can find a ship, instead.
- They head cross-country, and walk well into the night.
- The moon is behind a cloud, and they almost walk into a huge upright stone.
- After asking themselves where they could possibly be, they feel around and discover that they're in a huge circle of upright stones, some of which have equally huge stones lying crossways above them.
- It's Stonehenge, they realize. (Stonehenge is an ancient monument or temple – experts still don't know exactly what it was used for, but the current hypothesis is that it was used for astronomy and star mapping. It's older than old.)
- Tess stretches out on one of the horizontal stones, which is still warm from the sun, even though it's dark now.
- She asks Angel to look after 'Liza-Lu if anything should happen to her.
- Angel promises.
- Tess goes further, and asks if he would marry 'Liza-Lu if she should die, which she figures she probably will.
- Angel objects – he doesn't want Tess to die, and it would be kind of weird to marry his sister-in-law.
- Eventually, Tess falls asleep, and Angel stays next to her, holding her hand.
- Just as the sun comes up, Angel realizes that they're surrounded by men coming to arrest Tess.
- He looks for a weapon, but the man in front tells him it's no use.
- Angel then begs for them at least to allow Tess to finish her sleep, which they agree to.
- She's not surprised when she wakes up, and says she's ready.