The Awakening Chapter 10 Summary
READ THE BOOK
- Everyone goes down to the water.
- Although Edna has received repeated swimming lessons this summer, she hasn’t mastered swimming yet.
- Tonight’s her night though! She overcomes her fear of the water and swims as far away from shore as possible.
- She’s exultant at the idea of going where no woman has gone before.
- After swimming for a time, she looks back to shore and is momentarily afraid of drowning. She makes it back to dry land, however.
- Once back, Edna dresses and heads back toward her cottage.
- Robert follows her (no surprise there), and they talk.
- Edna, overwhelmed by recent events, speculates that ghosts are wandering around.
- Robert confirms this hypothesis, telling Edna that on this day, a spirit rises up from the Gulf and seeks a human being to keep him company.
- Robert tells Edna that tonight, the spirit has apparently chosen Edna.
- She thinks he’s teasing her.
- What he’s really trying to do is convey to Edna that he understands what she’s talking about.
- He offers her his arm and they walk back together.
- Edna insists on lying down in the hammock outside her cottage instead of going inside (even though it is late).
- Robert sits next to her and smokes a cigarette.
- The two of them sit there awkwardly.
- Eventually, Robert leaves.
- With Edna’s swimming success have come new feelings for Robert.
READ THE BOOK
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...