Cite This Page
The Awakening Chapter 12 Summary Page 1
- In the morning, Edna wakes up after troubled dreams and goes outside.
- She immediately sends the little girl who works for Madame Lebrun to get Robert and suggests that they take a boat to the Cheniere.
- Robert is thrilled to have her request his presence.
- They eat breakfast and head to the wharf.
- A few people are out walking: the two unnamed lovers that were seen in a previous chapter, an old woman in black, and old Monsieur Farival.
- Also present is a young Spanish girl named Mariequita. She knows Robert.
- They all get on the boat and Mariequita talks to Robert.
- She asks him if Edna is his sweetheart. He doesn’t deny it, but he does admit that Edna is married with two kids.
- Mariequita relates a story of a man named Francisco who ran away with another man’s wife. Robert gets embarrassed and tells her to shut up. In a joking sort of way, but you know that’s not a joke.
- Robert holds his umbrella over Edna to shade her from the sun.
- They talk about their plans for tomorrow and the next day.
- When they get off the boat, they all go to a Catholic church (Our Lady of Lourdes) for Mass, except for Mariequita, who walks away with her basket of shrimp, sending Robert a look of reproach.