The Awakening Chapter 14 Summary
- Edna goes to Adele’s cottage and picks up her children.
- After the children fall asleep, she goes back outside to say good-bye to Robert.
- She comments to him that they have been together for the whole day.
- Robert presses her hand meaningfully and goes away.
- Edna waits outside for Mr. Pontellier to return.
- She thinks about the summer and tries to understand why it has felt different from other summers. Finally she realizes that it is she who is different.
- She feels regret at Robert’s absence; she wishes that he was still with her.
- As she waits outside for her husband, she sings a little song to herself (one that Robert was singing earlier). The song begins and ends with the words, "If you knew."