Cite This Page
The Awakening Chapter 21 Summary Page 1
- Edna finally makes it to Mademoiselle Reisz’s house.
- Mademoiselle Reisz seems glad to see Edna and tells her that she has received a letter from Robert.
- (Everyone seems to get letters from Robert except Edna.)
- Mademoiselle Reisz admits that the letter was about Edna from beginning to end.
- Obviously, Edna is dying to read it.
- At first Mademoiselle Reisz won’t let her read the letter, but then they have a conversation about the courage required to be an artist.
- Mademoiselle Reisz finally hands over the letter.
- Edna reads it while Mademoiselle Reisz plays the piano.
- Edna sobs as she reads the letter, and later, when she prepares to leave, she asks Mademoiselle Reisz if she can come again.
- Mademoiselle Reisz says that Edna has an open invitation.
- Mademoiselle Reisz seems to genuinely like Edna and doesn’t think she’s crazy, which is a nice change for Edna.