Cite This Page
The Awakening Chapter 22 Summary Page 1
- Mr. Pontellier decides to visit to their family physician, Doctor Mandelet.
- He tells the doctor about Edna’s odd behavior in the hopes of getting some advice.
- We learn that he meets Edna in the morning at the breakfast table (read: no sex).
- Doctor Mandelet asks if Edna has been hanging around with a circle of "pseudointellectual women."
- Mr. Pontellier says no, Edna hasn’t been hanging around with anyone.
- The doctor suggests that she should be sent home to Kentucky to stay with her own people for a while.
- Mr. Pontellier reports that Edna has refused to go home, or even attend her sister’s wedding.
- Finally the doctor suggests that Edna’s problems are just a passing whim, and says if Mr. Pontellier just leaves her alone for a while, she’ll get over it.
- The doctor suggests that Edna come talk to him. Mr. Pontellier suggests that the doctor visit for dinner.
- The doctor agrees.
- After Mr. Pontellier leaves, the doctor wonders if Edna is involved with another man.