Cite This Page
The Awakening Chapter 24 Summary Page 1
- Before Edna’s father leaves, he and Edna argue about Edna’s decision not to attend her sister’s wedding.
- Her father tells Mr. Pontellier that he is much too lenient with Edna. He suggests that Mr. Pontellier be more authoritative.
- We learn that Edna’s father had basically coerced his wife into her grave.
- Mr. Pontellier goes off on a lengthy trip to New York.
- Edna feels sad for about two seconds. Peace settles over her.
- Her kids are off visiting their grandmother. Edna has the house to herself.
- That night, Edna eats dinner alone.
- Later, she reads some Emerson, then takes a nice bath and goes to bed.
- A sense of restfulness invades her soul as she snuggles into the bed and goes to sleep.