The Awakening Chapter 35 Summary
- In the morning, Edna tries to convince herself that things are better (or will be better) with Robert than they were the night before.
- If he really loves her, she tells herself, he will come to her.
- But she can’t stop thinking about him.
- The maid brings her a note from her son Raoul. He wants bonbons, and he tells her that ten tiny pigs have been born to his grandmother’s pig, Lidie.
- A letter also comes from Edna’s husband saying he will be back in early March.
- Then she gets a note from Arobin. It’s a "good morning!" note. It assures her of his devotion.
- She replies to her husband. It’s a friendly note, but full of all sorts of evasions.
- Edna puts Arobin’s note under the stove lid.
- Robert does not visit.
- Two days go by.
- Arobin comes to her house and insists on taking her for a drive. He seems to feel very strongly about her.
- Arobin’s desire for Edna is intensifying.
- Edna, however, feels nothing.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search