The Awakening Chapter 36 Summary
- Edna and Robert bump into each other at a restaurant.
- Although Edna had told herself to act indifferent around him, two minutes later she’s trying to persuade him to share her dinner.
- He sits down and before long she comes right out with it: "Why have you kept away from me, Robert?" she asks.
- He says she is cruel for insisting that he expose his wounds to her, when she has no intention of healing them, nor the power to do so.
- She changes the subject, feeling that she doesn’t want to spoil his dinner. They make small talk about the restaurant, the coffee, the food.
- She asks him if he’s going to smoke with his coffee.
- Robert gets out a cigar, and lays it on the table.
- Edna asks who gave it to him.
- Turns out he bought it himself.
- Turns out he bought a whole box of cigars.
- After they eat, Robert walks her home and goes inside with her.
- Robert sits down. Edna kisses him.
- He jumps up, takes her in his arms, and kisses her again.
- He pulls her down beside him on the sofa and tells her that now she knows what he has been fighting against since last summer.
- He admits his love for her and tells her that he was thinking about her all the time he was in Mexico.
- He says he went there in the first place because he had this wild dream that she could become his wife.
- Edna is startled by the word "wife."
- He admits it’s crazy, but he can’t help thinking about it.
- Here’s the kicker: instead of proclaiming her love for him, Edna effectively declares her independence. She makes it clear that she can be possessed by no one, not even Robert.
- Robert is afraid and shocked by this statement. He doesn’t know what to say.
- At this perfectly appropriate moment, there comes a knock on the door.
- Adele is having her baby.
- Robert kisses Edna passionately and begs her not to go, but she feels that she must.
- Edna extracts a promise from Robert that he will wait for her until she comes back.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search