Cite This Page
The Awakening Chapter 38 Summary Page 1
- Edna and the doctor walk home together.
- The doctor asks if she’s planning to go abroad with Mr. Pontellier in the spring.
- She says no, that she won’t be forced to do things she doesn’t want to do.
- The doctor seems to understand.
- He tries to talk to her some more. It’s clear that he really does understand.
- She can’t bring herself to tell him her inner conflict.
- He tells her that he will be able to help. She promises nothing.
- She goes inside her house, expecting to see Robert waiting in the parlor, but he is not there.
- Instead, there is a note saying, "I love you. Good-bye – because I love you."
- She grows faint when she reads the note.
- She lies down on the couch and is still lying there, awake, when in the morning her servant comes in to light the fire.