The Awakening Chapter 38 Summary
- Edna and the doctor walk home together.
- The doctor asks if she’s planning to go abroad with Mr. Pontellier in the spring.
- She says no, that she won’t be forced to do things she doesn’t want to do.
- The doctor seems to understand.
- He tries to talk to her some more. It’s clear that he really does understand.
- She can’t bring herself to tell him her inner conflict.
- He tells her that he will be able to help. She promises nothing.
- She goes inside her house, expecting to see Robert waiting in the parlor, but he is not there.
- Instead, there is a note saying, "I love you. Good-bye – because I love you."
- She grows faint when she reads the note.
- She lies down on the couch and is still lying there, awake, when in the morning her servant comes in to light the fire.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search