by Theodore Taylor
The Cay Chapter 5 Summary
- On the third day drifting at sea, an airplane flies overhead. Timothy calls to it and lights a torch, but nothing happens and the plane disappears. They're alone again.
- Phillip starts to put his hand in the warm water, but Timothy stops him. The waters are swarming with sharks. As long as they stay on the raft, though, they should be okay.
- Timothy says Stew Cat is bad luck, but to cause his death would be even worse. Phillip doesn't believe Stew Cat is bad luck.
- Phillip asks Timothy what he sees, and Timothy describes the water, the sky, and a bird called a "booby" (5.36).
- Phillip wonders if he'll ever see a bird again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...