The Old Man Timeline and Summary
- Stares out the window at the boats on the water.
- Complains that it gets dark much sooner than it used to.
- At his wife's request, does an impression of the month of February.
- Resists telling his wife the story he tells every night.
- Tries to tell the story but laughs so much it's unintelligible.
- Cries when his wife reminds him that his mother is dead.
- Remembers that he has a message that will save all of humanity.
- Says that everybody in the world is coming over tonight to hear the message spoken by an Orator.
- Greets the first guest, an invisible Lady.
- Shows great respect to the next invisible guest, who is a Colonel.
- Regrets not having pursued a relationship with the invisible Belle.
- Denies that he ever had a son.
- Scurries around like crazy as more and more guests arrive.
- Bursts into tears when the invisible Emperor shows up.
- Seems surprised when the Orator actually does arrive.
- Gives a long speech about how hard he's worked on the great message.
- Declares that his mission in life is now complete.
- Kills himself by jumping out the window into the waters below.