by John Steinbeck
Henry Allen Timeline and Summary
- Henry talks business with two men down by the tractor shed. Then he returns to the house, where he startles Elisa in her garden.
- He tells her she has a talent for growing things, and that he's just made a business deal, and wants to take her to town to celebrate.
- After he agrees to go into town with Elisa around 5:00PM, he gets back to work out on the ranch.
- When he returns from his work, he gets ready for their date, and then comes out on the porch, where Elisa is waiting for him.
- He makes a totally botched attempt to compliment his Elisa, then, giving up, goes to get the car.
- They drive to town and on the way, he notes a change in Elisa, but he doesn't say what it is.
- A bit confused, he tells Elisa that they can have wine with dinner, and that if she really wants to, they can go to see a fight.