Cite This Page
Ona Lukoszaite Timeline and Summary
- Ona Lukoszaite agrees to travel with Jurgis Rudkus to America to start a new life with him.
- They are accompanied by Ona's stepmother, Teta Elzbieta, her cousin, Marija Berczynskas, her six half-brothers and -sisters, her step-uncle, Jonas, and her future grandfather-in-law, Antanas Rudkus.
- Jurgis finds a job and marries Ona.
- They buy a house together and settle down.
- Ona stays in the house to look after things until they realize that their monthly payments are higher than they expected.
- Ona gets a job sewing hams into packaging.
- Ona becomes pregnant.
- Ona bears Jurgis a son, Antanas.
- Ona goes back to work at Brown's packing plant right after giving birth.
- She loses her health and develops a bad cough.
- Jurgis is too distracted by his own workplace injury and bitterness to notice.
- Jurgis also does not know that Ona is approached one night be one of the bosses at her factory.
- He threatens to get Jurgis and Marija fired from their jobs in Packingtown if she does not do what he says.
- This boss, Connor, rapes Ona right in the hallway of the factory.
- Connor also bullies Ona into going to a brothel in the city to work as a prostitute after working hours.
- Ona doesn't tell Jurgis what is happening to her because she is afraid he will murder Connor and ruin all of their lives.
- Ona becomes pregnant with her second child.
- She believes that Connor will stop bothering her once she becomes too pregnant to be attractive as a prostitute.
- Jurgis finds out where Ona has been going at night. He runs off to attack Connor.
- Jurgis goes to jail for thirty days.
- Ona gets too sick to get out of bed.
- Without Jurgis and Ona's salaries, the family misses their house payments.
- Ona and the rest of the family move back to the crowded apartment where they stayed when they first arrived in Chicago.
- Ona goes into premature labor. She is in so much pain that she just wants to die.
- Jurgis gets out of jail just as Ona is screaming in pain, in the middle of this deadly childbirth.
- Jurgis brings back a midwife for Ona, but it is too late to save either her or the baby.
- Ona regains consciousness to look at Jurgis just once before she passes away.