The Laboratory Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think jealousy always leads to bad things, like in this poem? Could jealousy ever make good things happen in your life?
- Can evil things be beautiful? Can you have a beautiful poison, or a beautiful murderer? Is there some way to see ugliness on the inside by looking at the outside?
- Could you see the lady in this poem being on a reality show? Real Housewives of the Seventeenth Century? We'd probably watch that.
- Have you ever been mad enough at someone to do something you might really regret? Did you recognize any of your feelings in this poem? (Not the psycho killer stuff, of course—Shmoop knows you better than that!)
- Do you think we love and hate in different ways now than we did a hundred or two hundred years ago, or does that all stay pretty much the same?