The Moonstone First Period, Chapter 19 Summary
- Cuff takes a little servant boy with him to the Shivering Sands to look for Rosanna, and then sends the kid back with a note for Betteredge.
- He wants one of Rosanna's boots, quickly.
- Betteredge is too curious; he takes the boot himself, instead of sending it back with the boy.
- Cuff has found some boot prints in the sand, and they're exactly the size of Rosanna's.
- The footprints in the sand lead down to the rocks over the Shivering Sand, but they can't find any prints leading back.
- Betteredge realizes that Rosanna must have killed herself by throwing herself in the quicksand, and he's heartbroken – his own daughter, Penelope, is just Rosanna's age.
- It starts raining, and they all get soaked.
- When they get back to the house, there's a note for Betteredge from Rosanna, thanking him for all his kindness to her.