The Moonstone Second Period, Narrative 1, Chapter 5 Summary
- Miss Clack is about to jump out and explained to Godfrey why she's there, but just then, Rachel comes into the room.
- She asks him why he's in the drawing room, instead of in the library.
- Godfrey laughs, and says that Miss Clack is in the library.
- Rachel agrees that they're better off in the drawing room.
- After overhearing this, Miss Clack decides to stay concealed, and eavesdrop.
- He starts sweet-talking her, but she reminds him that they'd agreed to remain cousins and friends, and nothing more.
- He says that he can't help but hope that she might soften towards him and learn to love him in the future.
- He even says that his charitable work has become a huge nuisance to him!
- (Imagine how little Miss Clack liked to overhear that!)
- Rachel tells him that she is miserable, because she has loved someone who isn't worthy to be loved, but that, even so, she still loves him.
- She adds that she's never spoken a word of this to anyone, least of all to the person she loves.
- Then she bursts into tears, and Godfrey throws his arms around her, and asks her to marry him.
- She says he must be crazy, since she's just told him that she loves someone else.
- But he says that doesn't matter – he'd be happy to have her affection and respect, if she can't love him.
- He keeps wheedling, and she finally agrees!
- Miss Clack is shocked and appalled, especially when…(the horror!)… he KISSES her.
- Rachel then tells Godfrey not to tell Lady Verinder until she's better.
- She's about to go open the curtains where Miss Clack is hidden, when Samuel, the footman, comes in.
- He says that Rachel should come immediately, because Lady Verinder has fainted.
- Godfrey goes, too, of course, leaving Miss Clack to exit alone, without being seen.
- They get to Lady Verinder's room, and find that she has died.
- And, as Miss Clack realizes, she died without giving her the money she'd promised to give her, instead of leaving it to her in her will.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search