by Wilkie Collins
The Moonstone Second Period, Narrative 3, Chapter 2 Summary
- Gabriel Betteredge is delighted to see Franklin Blake, and claims that Robinson Crusoe, which he was reading as Franklin arrived, had prophesied Franklin's arrival.
- Because Rachel doesn't want anything to do with him, Franklin's pride won't allow him to stay at Rachel's house.
- So, at Betteredge's suggestion, he decides to stay at a nice farmhouse nearby.
- He tells Betteredge that he's going to solve the mystery of the Moonstone.
- Betteredge tells him about the letter Rosanna Spearman had left in the care of Lucy Yolland, to be given to Franklin Blake in person.
- Franklin says he'll go to the Yollands' house in the fishing village first thing in the morning to get the letter.