The Moonstone Second Period, Narrative 3, Chapter 5 Summary
- At Franklin's request, Betteredge reads the last few pages of Rosanna's letter.
- Franklin finds it too upsetting.
- While Betteredge reads, Franklin thinks about Ezra Jennings.
- Jennings's odd looks and unpopularity make Franklin more interested in him.
- The rest of Rosanna's letter describes how happy she was when she saw that Rachel was angry with Franklin – she hoped that maybe Franklin would lose interest in Rachel.
- Of course, that didn't happen, and Rosanna ended up throwing herself into the quicksand.
- Betteredge tells Franklin to save the letter, but not to read it until later, since it would just upset him if he read it now.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...