The Moonstone Second Period, Narrative 3, Chapter 5 Summary
- At Franklin's request, Betteredge reads the last few pages of Rosanna's letter.
- Franklin finds it too upsetting.
- While Betteredge reads, Franklin thinks about Ezra Jennings.
- Jennings's odd looks and unpopularity make Franklin more interested in him.
- The rest of Rosanna's letter describes how happy she was when she saw that Rachel was angry with Franklin – she hoped that maybe Franklin would lose interest in Rachel.
- Of course, that didn't happen, and Rosanna ended up throwing herself into the quicksand.
- Betteredge tells Franklin to save the letter, but not to read it until later, since it would just upset him if he read it now.