by Gwendolyn Brooks
the mother Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Does this poem take a political stance on abortion? Can you categorize is as for or against abortion rights? Why or why not?
- Is "the mother" of the poem really a mother? How can you tell?
- What are the effects of the poem's changing mode of address?
- What does the poem say about the limits of language?
- Do you think that the speaker regrets having had an abortion? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...