by S.E. Hinton
Ponyboy Curtis Timeline and Summary
- Ponyboy leaves the movie theater by himself. He's almost immediately attacked by a carload of Socials as he passes the vacant lot on the way to his house.
- Darrel, Soda, Dallas, Two-Bit, Steve, and Johnny chase them away.
- Pony gets upset when Darry yells at him – he knows it's dangerous to walk by himself!
- Soda calms Darry down.
- The next night, Pony and Johnny spend time with Cherry Valance and Marcia at the movies.
- When Bob and Randy see their girlfriends walking with Greasers they pull up in a car and pick up the girls.
- Later, Pony falls asleep in the vacant lot with Johnny.
- When he wakes up, it's 2am. He runs home and Darry is up waiting for him.
- An argument ensues and, this time, Darry slaps Pony.
- Pony runs back to the lot, and he and Johnny walk to the park.
- A gang of Socials are right behind them.
- Bob tells one of the gang members to dunk Ponyboy in the fountain, and Pony feels like he's about to drown.
- He passes out and when he comes to, he learns that Johnny killed Bob.
- With Dallas Winston's help, Pony and Johnny jump a train and head out of town.
- They hide for five days in an abandoned church.
- Dallas arrives on the fifth day, and takes Pony and Johnny out to eat.
- When they get back to the church, it's on fire! And children are inside!
- Ponyboy and Johnny enter the building and save the children!
- When Pony emerges from the church, he feels Dallas sock him hard in the back.
- When he wakes up, he's in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.
- His brothers come to the hospital, and Pony soon learns that Dallas is OK, but that Johnny might not live, due to the injuries he sustained when burning wood fell on his back.
- The next day, Pony visits Johnny and Dally in the hospital, and that night he participates in the rumble between Greasers and Socs.
- After the rumble, he goes back to the hospital.
- While he's with Johnny, Johnny dies.
- Pony wanders around in a daze, until a kind man offers him a ride home.
- He gets home and shortly thereafter learns that Dallas is on the run from the police.
- Pony goes with the gang to the vacant lot to meet Dallas.
- He watches Dallas show his (unloaded) gun to the police, and then watches as Dallas goes down in a haze of bullets.
- Some time later, Pony attends his hearing, and the judge allows him to continue to live with Darry and Sodapop.
- But Pony's having lots of problems and his grades are slipping.
- His English teacher, Mr. Syme, asks him to write something about his life, in exchange for a passing grade.
- Pony does it. He writes the story we've been reading.