The Piano Lesson
The Piano Lesson Act 2, Scene 4 Summary
- It's the next morning.
- Lymon is sleeping on the couch.
- Boy Willie enters, loudly, and wakes him up.
- Lymon asks him where he disappeared to last night.
- Boy Willie says he went home with Grace. Leroy came by and tried to get in, but Boy Willie put a chair against the doorknob so he couldn't get in.
- "Wining Boy seen Sutter's ghost last night," says Lymon.
- Boy Willie tells him Wining Boy was just drunk.
- He also says that he got in touch with the man about the piano.
- The guy will pay him eleven hundred and fifty dollars for it.
- They start to try and lift the piano.
- The sound of Sutter's ghost is heard, but they don't notice it.
- They push and pull the piano, but it won't budge.
- Doaker enters and tells Boy Willie to leave the piano until Berniece goes home.
- Boy Willie ignores him.
- Doaker threatens him.
- Eventually, Boy Willie stops trying to move the piano.
- It's only for a little while, though, he tells Doaker.
- Boy Willie declares that he's going to find rope and a board with wheels on it. Then he's going to take the piano out of the house, sell it, and give Berniece half the money.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search