The Piano Lesson
by August Wilson
The Piano Lesson Act 2, Scene 4 Summary
- It's the next morning.
- Lymon is sleeping on the couch.
- Boy Willie enters, loudly, and wakes him up.
- Lymon asks him where he disappeared to last night.
- Boy Willie says he went home with Grace. Leroy came by and tried to get in, but Boy Willie put a chair against the doorknob so he couldn't get in.
- "Wining Boy seen Sutter's ghost last night," says Lymon.
- Boy Willie tells him Wining Boy was just drunk.
- He also says that he got in touch with the man about the piano.
- The guy will pay him eleven hundred and fifty dollars for it.
- They start to try and lift the piano.
- The sound of Sutter's ghost is heard, but they don't notice it.
- They push and pull the piano, but it won't budge.
- Doaker enters and tells Boy Willie to leave the piano until Berniece goes home.
- Boy Willie ignores him.
- Doaker threatens him.
- Eventually, Boy Willie stops trying to move the piano.
- It's only for a little while, though, he tells Doaker.
- Boy Willie declares that he's going to find rope and a board with wheels on it. Then he's going to take the piano out of the house, sell it, and give Berniece half the money.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...