The Piano Lesson
by August Wilson
Boy Willie Timeline and Summary
- Boy Willie arrives from Mississippi with a truck full of watermelons.
- He tells everybody that the Ghosts of the Yellow Dog pushed Sutter down his well.
- He declares that he plans to sell the piano so that he can buy Sutter's land; Doaker tells him that Berniece will never agree.
- Boy Willie says that Berniece is crazy when she says she sees Sutter's ghost.
- He denies killing Sutter when Berniece accuses him of it.
- He teaches Maretha to play a boogie-woogie.
- He tries to get the number of the white guy who wants to buy the piano from Berniece, but she refuses, saying she'll never sell it.
- Boy Willie talks about how he and Lymon ended up on Parchman Farm.
- He tries to move the piano and ends up getting in a big fight with Berniece about whether it should be sold.
- He tells Berniece that it wasn't his fault that her husband, Crawley, died but doesn't defend himself as she hits him.
- Boy Willie sells lots of watermelons, then heads out for a night on the town with Lymon.
- He makes out with a lady named Grace.
- He finds the guy who wants to buy the piano and makes a deal.
- He tries to move the piano with Lymon, but it is too heavy.
- Despite Doaker's protests, he declares that once he gets some wheels and rope, he's going to take the piano and sell it.
- Boy Willie argues with Berniece as he screws wheels on a board and waits for Lymon to show up so they can finally move the piano.
- He starts hauling the piano out of the house, when Lymon returns.
- Boy Willie is unafraid when Berniece threatens him with a gun.
- He mocks Avery's prayers as the preaches tries to bless the house and piano.
- Boy Willie wrestles Sutter's ghost.
- He lets Berniece have the piano, but tells her to keep playing on it, he and the ghost might both come back.