Cite This Page
The Road Sections 21-30 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- No one's out on the road.
- The Man fixes the shopping cart.
- They come upon a barn. Inside, they see "three bodies hanging from the rafters" (23.1).
- They move on.
- The Man realizes that he mostly worries about shoes and food.
- They find a ham hidden in an upper corner of a smokehouse. Yum.
- In his dreams, The Man keeps seeing a "pale bride" (25.1). She sounds both sexy and scary.
- It's snowing again.
- The Man doesn't trust good dreams and says that "the right dreams for a man in peril were dreams of peril" (26.1). He thinks the world as he knew it will soon be totally lost.
- The Man remembers his wife. He can't remember her scent, though.
- The Man attaches some brooms to the front of the cart and puts The Boy in the basket. The brooms clear aside debris and they careen down the hills. This actually sounds like fun.
- They see a dam. The Man speculates that it will be there for another thousand years or more. He also speculates that there aren't any fish left in the lake.
- The Man remembers a falcon crashing into some cranes. It's a really stunning description.