The Road Sections 341-350 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The Man washes The Boy's clothes in the surf. He eats a can of soup and falls asleep. He wakes up in the night and reaches for The Boy.
- In the morning, The Man gets the fire going again. He crushes some aspirin into sugar water and gives it to The Boy to drink.
- The Man walks along the beach coughing. He's really concerned about The Boy.
- The Boy sleeps all day. The Man tries to get him to drink some sugar water.
- The Man tries to stay awake and take care of The Boy, but he keeps falling asleep.
- The Man is now close to his breaking point: "He walked out on the beach to the edge of the light and stood with his clenched fists on top his skull and fell to his knees sobbing in rage" (345.1).
- It rains during the night.
- In the morning, The Boy asks for some water. He's going to be all right.
- The Boy doesn't remember much of the fever. The last thing he remembers is the flare gun.
- The Man throws out any suspicious food tins. The Boy drinks soup and The Man watches him.
- They eat huge meals and walk the beach. Late one day they come back to camp and notice it's been raided.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search