Cite This Page
The Road Sections 341-350 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- The Man washes The Boy's clothes in the surf. He eats a can of soup and falls asleep. He wakes up in the night and reaches for The Boy.
- In the morning, The Man gets the fire going again. He crushes some aspirin into sugar water and gives it to The Boy to drink.
- The Man walks along the beach coughing. He's really concerned about The Boy.
- The Boy sleeps all day. The Man tries to get him to drink some sugar water.
- The Man tries to stay awake and take care of The Boy, but he keeps falling asleep.
- The Man is now close to his breaking point: "He walked out on the beach to the edge of the light and stood with his clenched fists on top his skull and fell to his knees sobbing in rage" (345.1).
- It rains during the night.
- In the morning, The Boy asks for some water. He's going to be all right.
- The Boy doesn't remember much of the fever. The last thing he remembers is the flare gun.
- The Man throws out any suspicious food tins. The Boy drinks soup and The Man watches him.
- They eat huge meals and walk the beach. Late one day they come back to camp and notice it's been raided.