Cite This Page
The Road Sections 61-70 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- There's not as much snow now, so they must be at a lower elevation.
- They stand over a deep gorge and look down into the river below.
- It takes them all day to reach the river.
- They leave their cart in a parking lot and walk to the river.
- There's an eighty-foot waterfall. The Boy is impressed.
- The Man walks around near the waterfall picking up smooth stones.
- They stand on each side of the waterfall and call to each other, just like tourists.
- They go swimming under the falls. That's got to be freezing.
- They climb the trail up to the top of the falls. It's a long way down, obviously.
- They walk along the upper river (the part above the falls) and find some morels (really tasty and non-poisonous mushrooms).
- After the mushroom score, they hike back to the road and then down to the waterfall.
- They wash the mushrooms and fry them.
- Tinned pears for dessert!
- The Man tells The Boy "[o]ld stories of courage and justice" while The Boy falls asleep (69.1).
- In the morning, The Man walks downstream to see if other wanderers recently visited the falls.
- He remembers once seeing trout in a river just like this one.