The Romance of Tristan
The Romance of Tristan Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why doesn't The Romance of Tristan condemn Tristan and Yseut for their adulterous affair? Isn't their adultery a betrayal of their society's most important values?
- Why are Tristan and Yseut sleeping with a sword in between them when Mark discovers them in their woodland bower? Is there a reasonable explanation for their sleeping arrangements, or is this just a convenient narrative cop-out?
- Why do Tristan and Yseut continue their affair after the potion has worn off, even after Yseut states that their physical relationship has come to an end?
- Does King Mark seem like a sympathetic character to you? What are his faults? Does he seem to deserve his fate?
- What does it mean for Tristan to help Kaherdin carry on an affair with a married woman? Or for Yseut to try to have Brangain killed? Do these actions change how we think about the lovers? Or is there a good explanation for their behavior?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search